A total of 12 community associations across Taiwan proper and the outlying islands will partake in 2020 Taipei International Travel Fair to showcase local culture and highlights from Oct. 30 to Nov. 2 at Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center, with the aim to boost domestic travel and promote interest in diversified local cultural characteristics.
Invited by the Ministry of Culture, the associations will collaborate with travel services booking platform KLOOK to launch an online travel festival in line with the four-day fair and offer preferential and convenient travel packages.
The associations' participation will be carried out in two parts. From Oct. 30 to 31, six communities, among the 12, will first take part in the event, they are:
• The Baimi Community Development Association in Yilan County (宜蘭縣蘇澳鎮白米社區發展協會) – an organization inspired by local production of wooden clogs in 1940s
• The Taiwan Quasi-museums Development in New Taipei City (臺灣類博物館發展協會), a New Taipei City-based institution that is surrounded by old mining sites and local settlements
• The Business Development Association in Longtan District of Taoyuan City (桃園市龍潭區商業發展促進協會) – an organization that seeks to revitalize old Longtan First Market.
• The Hualien Ecology and Culture Sustainable Development Association (花蓮縣生態文化休閒創意產業永續發展協會), a group that aims to preserve the Amis people’ hunting tradition
• The Penghu Nanliao Community Development Association (澎湖縣湖西鄉南寮社區發展協會)
• The Kinmen Guningtou Community Development Association (金門縣金寧鄉古寧頭社區發展協會), an organization that perpetuates a centuries-old culture of local oysters farming
From Nov. 1 to 2, the participating associations will be:
• The New Home Land Foundation (新故鄉文教基金會), an organization focusing on 921 earthquake recovery and ecology in area ravaged by the devastating temblor in 1999
• The Taichung Gomach Cultural Promotion Association (臺中市牛罵頭文化協進會), which is dedicated to the prehistoric life studies
• The Yunlin Louyoung Cultural and Educational Foundation (雲林縣螺陽文教基金會), an organization committed to the rejuvenation of Xiluo Old Street in the county
• The Tainan City Houbu Community Development Association in Tainan (臺南市後壁區後廍社區發展協會) The Houbu Community is located in the city’s Houbi District, which is home to a traditional woven pouch known as the ka-tsì bag (茄芷袋).
• The Pingtung County Shirding Cultural Development Association (屏東縣社頂部落發展文化促進會), an organization located in Kenting National Park
• The Hualien Loushan Community Development Association (花蓮縣富里鄉羅山社區發展協會), Loushan is known for being the nation’s first model of organic farming.
In addition to the tourism promotion campaigns presented by the associations at the event, visitors can expect an expanded collaboration between the communities and KLOOK that covers visits to local museums and cultural institutions or facilities in the future.